- Hermine Marshall, early childhood education expert
How much does age matter? Are kids starting formal school too early?
- Mary B. McMullen, Indiana University
Would students develop and learn better if they were kept together as a group during the first few years of elementary school?
- Meredith F. Small, anthropologist
Young children are highly competent if given the opportunity. Does our culture cater to children too much?
- Elizabeth Graue, former kindergarten teacher
Kindergarten cut-off should be based on more than age; exactly what is it children have to be “ready” for?
- Bob Pianta, dean, University of Virginia, Curry School of Education
Good, effective early education programs could level the playing field.
- Jerlean Daniel, National Association for the Education of Young Children
Adjusting kindergarten entry dates has an economic impact on families who can’t afford additional pre-school.
How can we move from debate to action?