Sherwood Schwartz, the creator of The Brady Bunch and Gilligan’s Island, passed away July 12. According to NPR, he left a letter to be read after his death. In it, he wondered if he’d get into heaven, but after reviewing his life’s accomplishments he came to the conclusion that his life on earth really was heaven.
That got me to wondering: is this as good as it gets?
From the State of America’s Children® 2011 Report:
- Every 18 seconds a baby is born to an unmarried mother.
- Every 34 seconds a child is born into poverty.
- Every 42 seconds a baby is born without health insurance.
- Every 42 seconds a child is confirmed as abused or neglected.
- Every 60 seconds a baby is born to a teen mother.
- Every 2 minutes a child is born at low birthweight.
- Every 18 minutes a baby dies before his/her first birthday.
- Every 5 hours a child is killed by abuse or neglect.
And if it is, can’t we do better?
Parents as Teachers thinks so.