Solving the Tennis Ball Puzzler is the beginning of one-to-one correspondence, an early math concept.
This is also a puzzle that calls for eye-hand coordination.
What to do:
- Now ask her to dump the balls out and do it again.
- Repeat the game several times, each time talking about what she is doing.
- After she has dumped out all six balls hand her the 7th ball.
- Again encourage her to put one into each cup. (Now that there are 7 tennis balls, one will be left over.)
- Observe how she solves the problem of the extra ball.
- If she gets frustrated and doesn’t understand why there is a problem, count the balls together. “Let’s count the muffin cups. 1-2-3-4-5-6. Now let’s count the balls. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Well, no wonder! There are too many tennis balls!”